Pre-requisite is three or more months of consistent running experience or immediate completion of 5K Running Academy class. In this course, you will begin where 5K Running finished and steadily advance into the 10K Running format. This class expands on the information covered in 5K Running. In addition, this course will follow a more advanced curriculum as you progress.
A stronger emphasis will be placed on the biomechanics of running form, as well as upper body strengthening exercises to become a more efficient runner. By the end of the 8-week program, you will be prepared to participate in any of our fun local 10K races.
You may choose to re-enroll in 10K Running multiple times to improve your overall fitness and running efficiency. If you choose to challenge yourself to a longer distance please consider our Half Marathon training or Full Marathon training.
Your training will follow a standard training pyramid which will go as follows:
- BASE BUILDING/ENDURANCE training for the first 2 weeks. At this level, you will begin to work on a good base of running. You will be running slowly with the sole purpose of training your body to endure the stress of running long distances. Towards the end of this first phase, we will cover step by step the basics rules of running biomechanics.
- STRENGTH training will occur in weeks 3-4. In this stage, you will be introduced to longer sustained running and short 20 second surges of a quicker pace. Finally, you will practice the techniques of running biomechanics.
- SPEED training takes place during weeks 5-6. As you become more comfortable running at this level this is the perfect time to introduce drills which will assist in speed training on the track.
- PEAKING in week 7 will provide you with the confidence to run your 10K with the utmost efficiency. At this level, you will feel strong, confident and ready.
- TAPERING in week 8 may be one of the most important sessions. This is the final week but your training is not yet complete. Now it is time to rest, allowing your body to repair itself from the past 7 weeks of training. During this week you will be reducing the time on the road, and by race day you will be like a racehorse in the starting gate.
All classes also provide you with informative training workshops on:
- Good Form Running, including a video gait analysis
- Footwear, apparel and accessory
- Sport-specific strength training
- Nutrition, and more…